29 April 2013

KEMPTON PARK Station, Class 8DW no 1219


FLASH BACK TO THE PAST 1: The class 8DW 1219 newly plinthed at Kempton Park Stn - Image taken 15.9.1973 (c) George Woods.

This entry is in memory of the locomotive which was once (1973) plinthed at the Kempton Park Station. Today (2013) 40 years later it may be found in a sorry state on a farm (Van der Merwe) near Rayton. Follow the link.

Somehow the locomotive got unplinthed - For many years she was stored at the REEFSTEAMERS shed in Germiston. John Middleton's guide lists the locomotive as a former THF "loan" locomotive. Perhaps someone can explain how it came that REEFSTEAMERS let go of her and when and under which arrangement she got to be sent to Van der Merwe farm?

Quoting from Paxton & Bourne: The Cape Government Railway's (CGR) 8th class was conceived as a mixed-traffic locomotive equally suitable for goods and passenger work. They were designed by H.M. Beatty and had larger driving wheels than the 7th class. Beatty added a bogie to the front to improve the ride. The first order for the CGR consisted of 23 locomotives delivered by Neilson, Reid and Coin 1902 and 1903 and were placed in service throughout the Colony. In 1910 they became the SAR class 8.

The CGR's 2nd order of the 8th class was delivered in 1903 by Neilson, Reid and Co and the North British Locomotive Co. These 38 engines differed only slightly from the original order, and were later classified as Class 8D on the SAR.

Origin of Class "8DW": During A.G. Watson's term as chief mechanical engineer, many of the classes 8 - 8F were fitted with superheated boilers and either inside or outside admission piston valves. The classification of the inside admission was indicated with the suffix "W" while the outside admission engines retained their old classification.

They were a fine class of engine and saw service on every system of the SAR, becoming the mainstay of motive power on many branch lines in the 1920s. They ended their days on the shunting service until 1972, when all were withdrawn.


FLASH BACK TO THE PAST 2: 1972-08-19: Amongst the locomotives withdrawn from service and stored at Germiston shed was this 8DW class 4-8-0 1219. It was built by Neilson, Reid and Co of Glasgow in Scotland in 1903 as the Cape Government Railways 8th class  image (c) Ron Fisher [ sourced from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/5733595084/] Note that some of the motion was already missing in 1972.  Shortly after this image was taken, the locomotive was plinthed (see image at the top) for a period at Kempton Park station.

1 comment:

  1. Saving my crypto funds in a cold wallet did not save me from an attack when hackers gained access to my crypto portfolio. I watched everything I had worked so hard to build disappear in the blink of an eye. It felt so unreal. I had always thought that cold wallets were the safest way to store crypto "naive me".
    It took me days to realize what had happened to me. I was under the weather and felt like a walking corpse until Morphohack came to my rescue. They are a well-known data and funds recovery team whose contact information I came across on the dark web.

    Morphohack helped me recover everything I thought I had lost. What initially seemed like the end of everything turned out to be a wake up call for me. Morphohack recovered my crypto, helped me secure it better, and taught me other ways to safely protect myself from future attacks.
    The Morphohack team was very reliable throughout the recovery process, and I was fortunate to have been able to recover my crypto funds. I’m incredibly grateful that I was able to get back what I thought was gone forever. Morphohack can be contacted via email at Morphohack@cyberservices.com and be rest assured, they can handle any recovery case discreetly and professionally.

    ReplyDelete