- Darnall, Sugar Mill, Avonside 1740/1916 "MR BUSS"
- Durban, Sugar Terminal - Maydon Warf: Avonside 1422/1900
- Gledhow, Sugar Mill, Hunslet 2647/1942
- Mtubatuba, Umfolozi Village, ?Hunslet 1032/1914 relic
- Umzinto, Indian Koran School, Hunslet 3385/1946
- Witbank, Tiny Tots Nursery School, Avonside 1858/1...
- SEZELA Sugar Mill: Sezela No 1 - Avonside 1719/1915
- RENISHAW Sugar Estate: Renishaw No 2 - Avonside 1986/1926
- The Kearsney-Stanger Light Railway (1901-c.1944)
This loco was dug up from the Umfolozi river bed in 1980 after being lost in the 1925 flood. The remains of the locomotive has not been restored.
This 0-4-0T 2' 6" gauge locomotive was assumed to be Hunslet Engine Co works no 1032 built in 1914. The locomotive had a 8.25" x 12" design.
This information still needs to be confirmed.
The locomotive was used by the Umfolozi Co-Op Sugar Plantation at Mtubatuba when lost in the flood.
The Co-op had three 0-4-0T engines at the time of the flood:
|No 2||Hunslet||1032||1910||0-4-2T||8 1/2" X 12"|
|No 3||Hunslet||1190||1915||0-4-2ST||9 1/4" X 14"|
|' MATUBA'||Avonside||1836||1919||0-4-2T||9 1/4" X 14"|
The relic could be any of these engines.
photo taken by Robin Lakes. (click on image for larger view)
After being dug up, the relic was stored for sometime in the care of Mr. A.B. Wessels at the "Zulutrac" Garage in Umfolozi Village.
By the end of 1993 it was reported that the relic has been moved to the private house of a Mr Preen in Umfolozi Village.
Currently the whereabouts of the relic is unknown.
If you know what happened to it and where it is now, please contact me, thank you.
- Industrial Locomotives of South Africa 1991 by Middleton & Williams
- Industrial Locomotives of South Africa 1991 by Middleton & Williams update Nov 1993
- Sandstone: Gary Barnes's spreadsheet of Cane Locomotives