08 June 2012

WHITE RIVER: SAR Class GCA no 2196

June 2012: For some years I have been struggling to establish whether the plinthed SAR Class GCA no 2196 in White River is still in existence. This is until June 6th when I got this message out of the blue:
Hi Piet My name is Sean Stanton. I have enjoyed seeing your train photo's etc. I grew up in White River, but now live in Cairns, Australia. My wife and I holidayed in SA in April. I took some pics of the GCA mounted on the station platform and have attached them for you. Also find some photo's of the loco I took in the late '80s. By the way, I work for the Cairns Kuranda Steam Rly where we have the ex SAR 24 class 3620. I am currently working to return the loco to working order as and when time permits. Kindest regards Sean
However, I was quite shocked when I saw the attachments! I leave it to the reader judge further ...

GCA 2196 with White River station in background - around 1987 - unknown photographer - image via Richard Niven

The class GCA Garratt is a 2-6-2+2-6-2 design which was built as works no 276 in 1927-28 by Krupp of Essen to the same specification as the Class GC. Their appearance differed however, because they had bar frames and a round-topped firebox.

There were 39 engines in this class which proved extremely successful in a variety of tasks. They worked out of Durban on the Natal south coast, also around Pietermaritzburg on the Donnybrook-Underberg and Greytown-Mount Alida branches, while in the eastern Transvaal they were used on the Nelspruit-Graskop branch amongst others.

They were all withdrawn by 1978.


late 1980's Photo courtesy of Sean Stanton


late 1980's Photo courtesy of Sean Stanton


GCA 2196 White River, Left forgotton on the disused station, 1995 - image Richard Niven


GCA 2196 White River, Left forgotton on the disused station, 1995 - image Richard Niven


16 April 2012 Photo Sean Stanton

Would you believe that this neglected locomotive belongs to an entity named "Transnet Foundation Heritage Preservation" (formerly Transnet Heritage Foundation)? What a disgrace!

16 April 2012 Photo Sean Stanton


Google Earth View May 2010

5 comments:

  1. Willie van Staden21 March, 2013 20:34

    Ja no this is bad isn't there anything that can be dun to restore this old gaint off the past

    ReplyDelete
  2. I published a more recent photo (4 December 2014) of the locomotive on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/36032475@N07/15946572112/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi My name is Jerald Rabie I served my time as a locomotive fitter. I overhauled GCA 2192, 2604 GL 4004 4000.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I think that locomotives 4000 and 4004 are GEA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way back in 1995 I was doing a movie clip in nearby Badplaas with two steam locos. I hear dabout this poor garratt and so went up to White River a few times and gave her a good clean down and oiled up the motion etc. In the end I had her in quite good shape. Even her number plates were still on the cabsides. So very sad to see her laying just rusting away. The other GCA was at nearby Nelspruit station and thankfully was removed recently for preservation. Hopefully the same will happen to this great lady

    ReplyDelete