This image, courtesy of Roger Griffiths, shows what the plinthed engine looked like in October 1973.
Of interest is, that after the picture above was taken, the engine's couplers were replaced with the original bell type - also a cow catcher was added. (compare with the 1932 image made by Frank Garrison way down below.) This is testament of the fine detail which people took care of for this engine on the plinth! Their good intentions back then were so well meant!!!
2009-01-20 Image courtesy of David Green